almost got gnome working on talkingarch

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Wed Aug 10 03:55:08 UTC 2016

I've done package installation and systemctl enable gdm.service and the
link was created.
orca is installed and when I boot the system I hear screen reader on but
then don't hear anything else.
I used gdm for this install and wonder if gdm has to have accessibility
enabled like lightdm needed it done.

I got further with mate on talkingarch but not far enough.  Once I got
through a silent login, the screen reader came on and started speaking.  I
never did figure out what to do to get a talking login with lightdm.  The
reader=orca setting with /etc/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf did not enable
speech in lightdm for login so I gave up on talkingarch mate for now.