almost got gnome working on talkingarch

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Fri Aug 12 16:31:14 UTC 2016

What I installed to get this far was:
gnome
gnome-extra
xorg
xorg-xinit
I then enabled some a11y variables with gsettings maybe too many one for
screen reader one for interface and one for plugins.
Finally I exported in /etc/profile.d gail and atk.
If I try logging in running startx from command line I have no speech
but can login and if I run orca as a command the way would in
gnome-terminal inside of X11 orca runs and says screen-reader on but can
do nothing else.
If I use gdm to login after enabling gdm.service and rebooting the
system I hear screen-reader on but no further speech happens.
Fortunately I can get into mate on debian with startx and login and have
orca working after that (I'd just like to learn enough so I could do it
on archlinux too) and If no coherent documentation yet exists I wouldn't
mind contributing to it so as to make this path for others later.