Can I add speakup to An Existing Wheezy Installation?

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 5 14:09:28 UTC 2016

If you are using a stock debian kernel, you don't have to add speakup.
You just have to load it. I am guessing though that you are asking how
to load speakup, right? Well, that depends on which speech synth you are
using. I am going to guess you want to use software speech, right? In
that case, you will have to add the espeak package. Here are the steps:

1. Type "modprobe speakup_soft"
2. Type "apt-get install espeakup"

Your machine should start talking.

technically not speakup.