Editing Sound on the Fly

Martin McCormick martin.m at suddenlink.net
Mon Jul 11 16:38:31 UTC 2016

	I am always looking for the easiest way to do things but
am also aware of that quotation which goes "The lazy man works
the hardest."

	I want to play a file which is usually 8-bit audio at
a sampling rate of 8000 samples per second, sometimes called raw
8-bit audio. If I hear something worth saving, I would like to
copy that part of the stream to a new file and then stop the copy
when the good stuff has passed, just like dubbing from one tape
recorder to another.

	I just installed ecasound as it should be able to
accomplish this task but the question is will mplayer also do this?

	The idea is one listens, hears something interesting to
save, starts the recording at the right time and then stops it
after the gem has been saved while the master continues to play.
If a new treasure comes by, start recording again and save that
in the same new file or maybe a series of files depending upon
what one wants.

	Thanks for any suggestions. This audio is radio traffic
so it doesn't need to be high fidelity. One usually wants the
most audio crammed in to the least space.

Thanks for all good ideas.

Martin WB5AGZ