ssh (was: web based)

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 31 17:57:30 UTC 2016

The -x flag means that after you log into the remote server, you can run
X11 apps on the remote machine and have the display appear on your local
machine.  X11 works by sending instructions to the X11 server on your
local machine. So when you run an X11 program locally, it's talking to a
server, an X11 server, on your local machine. The -x flag tells ssh to
forward those X11 instructions from the remote machine back to the X11
server on your local machine. Obviously, for this to work, you have to
have an X11 server running on your local machine.  Those do exist for
Windows but I know nothing about them. The remote ssh server also has to
have X11 forwarding enabled.