mutt indexing (was Re: Orca & tbird issues)

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Nov 12 14:53:00 UTC 2016

Joel, All:

Fwiw, I would agree a minute is too long. I have some large mbox files,
but my worst searches generally complete in less than 20 seconds or so.

Fwiw, my inbox is saved off to a "saved" mbox every month. In addition I
have a lot of subject/worktask mbox files populated by using procmail
sorting, so a a majority of my mail actually never hits the inbox, e.g.
mail from this list never hits my inbox. Additionally, all my mboxes
live in yearly folders, e.g. 13, 14, 15, 16, and soon 17. I avoid
needing to change my procmail rules by using a symbolic link called
"current" to point to the current year, and all the mbox files that are
consistent year to year have symbolic links pointing into those folders,
e.g. current/linux. I have a bash script that I run each New Year's Eve
at midnight using at that mediates the change over. I have to do just a
little prep work every year to prepare for the turnover, i.e. touch the
mbox file names in the new year's folder.

Also, I find using the online mutt documentation much easier to work
with than the builtin F1 interface:
http://www.mutt.org

You're correct that the tilde limiters are not themselves regular
expressions, but they can be used in usual boulian logic patterns. So,
rather than keep an old cheat sheet, I'd prefer to use a bookmark to the current doc which is:

http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/

The key to effectively using mutt as a blind user, imo, is getting your
configuration file setup working the way you want your mail handling to
work. There are some essential settings, imo, such as:

set arrow_cursor                # use -> instead of hiliting the whole line

Then there are the personal preference settings, such as deciding which
headers you want to see and what editor you want to use writing
messages. Because it's only a mua, you get to personalize your editor of
choice and your mta of choice. And via mailcap you get to view all
manner of attachments you recieve such as docx and pdf files without
leaving mutt.

Every few years I look at other email clients, but I've yet to be
persuaded either by features or by performance to switch. I'm a happy
mutt user for the forseeable future.

Janina