spammer on list

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Sun Nov 13 18:26:31 UTC 2016

On November 13, 2016, Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
> Honestly, I've never understood the "sent from x" meme. Like anyone
> really gives a damn whether you were on your smartphone, or home
> computer, or a school computer when you typed a message.

The original intent of the "sent from my iPhone/Blackberry/Palm/whatever"
was to convey "I'm typing this on a device where input is difficult,
so please forgive spelling & grammar errors and please excuse the
terseness of the reply."

It sorta morphed into a bragging about the technologically
advanced device you had, and then has since adopted a bit of a jokey
feel about it.  So I've seen jokes about old hardware such as "Sent
from my PDP-11" or "Sent from my Apple II".  There are also jokey
ones about Internet of Things devices such as "Sent from my
toaster/refrigerator".

But yeah, at this point in history, nobody really cares from which
device you send email.  They all do it. (grins)

-tim