Emacspeak and eSpeak

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Wed Oct 5 14:53:55 UTC 2016

Following up on my own post, there's also a bug on Arch Linux right now
which affects espeak.  It isn't an espeak bug; it's actually a bug in
Portaudio.
If you use Speakup, you've hopefully been following the discussion of it
over on the Speakup list.  Anyway, until the portaudio package is fixed,
you need to set the LIBASOUND_THREAD_SAFE environment variable to 0
before running anything that uses espeak.
For what it's worth, the bug has been fixed in Portaudio.  A patch was
merged.  I can dig out a direct link to it if anyone wants it, and
there's a release candidate available now.  So hopefully a new Portaudio
release is coming soon.

-- Chris