Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Apr 18 10:32:05 UTC 2017

Sorry for the late reply, but see comments below.

On 3/16/2017 3:36 PM, Joel Roth wrote:
> Eric Oyen wrote:
>
>> ...we, as a community, don't have an actual unified distro
>> to call our own. Sure, Vinux is a decent distro, but it's
>> lacking a lot of useful features outside of accessibility.

OK, but why do we, as a community, need a special distro? Yes, it's free
software, so there is certainly nothing stopping you as long as you realize
it's your pet distro along with the about 300 others on distrowatch.com. I
would much rather have a popular, mainstream distro which includes great
accessibility like Debian and derivatives.

> I'm not sure how things are at present, but in the past,
> Debian has shown some commitment to supporting
> accessibility[1], including at the installer level[2].

Yes, Debian still supports accessibility. Every alpha release of D-I has
accessibility features and fixes.

> This is not the same as a special-purpose distribution, and
> I think the pages were written some time ago. Still I would
> think that some effort would be worthwhile, and would
> benefit all Debian derivatives, which could include
> a accessbility-centric distribution.
>
> 1. https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility
> 2. https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility#Debian_installer_accessibility

These pages should be fairly current and are often updated by Debian
developers like Samuel Thibault.