Re : Re: Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

MENGUAL Jean-Philippe mengualjeanphi at free.fr
Tue Apr 18 14:53:40 UTC 2017

Hi,

Of course you are right saying that we have to recognize that the oriented devs work is helpful and better than a so hard contribution to mainstream.

However this approach, where we build an alternative image of a distro with some specific settings has a risk, we saw with Sonar and, in a less strong measure, Vinux: devs are not numerous, and end up tired. And their effort is not supported enough due to the low number of people. I think if we all could work mainstream, maintaining a quite strong political action in distros, we coule make mainstream improve and become universal. All the more as it may enable to bring aware devs of larger communities, and avoiding to have accessibility regressions, etc. So would have an impact of upstream software, distro decisions, and then a stronger policital influence.

It is the sense of the debian accessibility team.

That is why Hypra chooses to contribute directly to Debian, its repo are just to provide immeidately future improvements or avoid future bugs we could not fix, essentially Libreoffice. The most important specific stuff of Hypra repo, which is just a set of Debian packages installed after the distro is installed, are:
- Orca bindings similar as Jaws or NVDA, because upstream is not ready to include various profiles whereas we are sure it is what expect not-power users (why not providing this in a Debian patch later, we are thinking of this);
- a set of config where Compiz is the window manager, to have in one desktop accessibility for everybody, including persons without disability. This set, I hope, will be in Debian someday, but we could upload Compiz too late and could not then, before freeze and stable, to finish work completely, making test, and proposing it is the default behavior as MATE is when installing from a braille device or a speech synth. But we will work for that as soon as the dev cycle starts again in Debian, with thought about patches, upstream, sync, etc. It is not a trivial thought, hence the fact we had to do our repo waiting for this thought be acceptable by the community.

regards,

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL

HYPRA, progressons ensemble

Tél.: 01 84 73 06 61