Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 00:15:47 UTC 2017

Regarding my experiences with my clients, my business motto has always
been "Linux is for everyone," and I don't discriminate. This means that
I will never make it a policy to serve only blind or visually impaired
people, and I prefer what are commonly called "mainstream" distros over
all else. In fact, I have worked more with users with eyeballs,
installing and supporting traditional distros, than I have with blind or
visually impaired people, except maybe the support work I've done pro
bono on various e-mail lists and IRC channels. But after much discussion
between the Vinux and Sonar developers, it was felt that something
specialized is still needed *for now*, but that working as close as
possible to upstream is equally important, as the closer we are to
upstream, the easier it will be to get bugs fixed and features added
that will help everyone no matter which distro they choose, and
eventually, no matter how old the packages are in the distro they
choose. Also, working as closely as possible with upstream will mean
less work that needs to be done to finally get to the point where only
things like TalkingArch, which require very little time or effort, will
be needed in the not-too-distant future, and hopefully there will come a
day when none of this is needed at all, as everything will come up
speaking, brailling and whatever else out of the box, with a vare
minimum of user intervention.
~Kyle