Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 10:43:25 UTC 2017

I'm Tony Baechler. See below. I disagree from experience.

On 4/23/2017 4:53 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Honestly, there isn't any distro I could in good conscience recommend
> to a new Linux user blind or otherwise without caveats. Debian Stable
> is usually rock solid, but that comes at the price of using old
> versions of many applications, and while I tend to think Debian
> Testing strikes a good balance between stability and cutting edge, I'd
> have to agree it isn't for the average joe. Many swear by Knoppix as a
> live CD, and running in Adriane mode, it's easily the most blind
> accessible OS I've tried, but it's installer leaves much to be
> desired(the installer is accessible and easy to use, but it doesn't
> even allow creating user accounts aside from the default, creating a
> separate home partitiion, or setting a sudo password).

Well yeah, what do you expect for a live CD? My talking live rescue CD has
the same limitations and it's only for the console. I don't recommend
installing a live CD, whether mine or someone else's. The Debian live CD
goes into a different mode when doing the install. Ubuntu has the option to
try it or install, although you can run the installer from the live system.
Both use debootstrap to install a clean system. I installed the grml live CD
a long time ago. What a mess! My system constantly broke and I never got X
working. My drive crashed which was just as well. Since installing Debian
testing, I've rarely had breakage. It's kind of boring now. I upgrade 500
packages and everything goes smoothly. I don't have to downgrade and repair
my system by hand anymore.

> And while many Linux distributions are easier to install than
> ever(accessibility issues aside), I think it's fair to say that
> Installing an OS is still a Power User task, and ideally, for the
> average joe, you want something a power user can install for them when
> they buy a new computer and then never need to ask the power user for
> help again. Granted, I don't think any OS has come that far in the
> "you don't need the assistence of a power user" department.

I disagree. My dad installed Ubuntu MATE several times on his own without
help. He didn't tell me he did the install until after the fact. I only had
to walk him through the first time and that was only to partition his drive.