Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 00:35:40 UTC 2017

My first comment regarding this thread is, separate is never equal.
Secondly, which actually goes with the vinus discussion...what community?
There is as much individuality among hose who experience sight loss as the
rest of humanity.  some like windows, others a mac, others Linux or
another open source platform, some will swore by jaws, others would not
touch it with a ten foot speaker.  Some never learned to type...at all
before using a computer, others type at 85 words a minute, a few use
braille, most do not.  In fact I doubt you can find one consistent factor
in your so called community.  the higher experience of sight is not perfect
either.

In fact, if you wonder in general why there are so few tools, with the
options  getting smaller, it is in part because a handful insist that
they can create tools for the so called nonexistent blind community.  all
interchangeable for each other.

Amusingly enough, there was a thread on the main Debian list all
about
choice or the lack of it in Linux.  Mostly focused around the presence or
absences of systems the ability to use whatever hardware you desire etc.
so uniqueness within the distros matters, but as said below the more
options in the larger distributions the better for all concerned.
Back to the so called community factor.  I am amazed at the idea someone
else can tell me how I desire to use a computer, just because we share a
label.  I would not expect every women to speak for my lifestyle, and we
share a label too.
So, while I respect your desire to work with your smaller distribution,
keep your "of your own," ideas to yourself.
Kare