Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 12:32:15 UTC 2017

Hi,

Don't forget GNU homes an a11y list (fsf). It can be used if you are not
pleased with this one.

Regards,

Le 24/04/2017 à 11:14, Linux for blind general discussion a écrit :
> My name is Tony Baechler. Since names aren't showing up, it makes it
> very hard to track discussions. If no one objects, I think I'll create a
> new list very soon. I've looked at groups.io and they look good enough.
> Besides, as I stated before, Red Hat has shown many times that they
> don't care about accessibility, so just on principle, I think it's time
> to move on. Sorry for my rant. See below.
>
> On 4/23/2017 10:00 AM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>> differing arches all have the same source in common. So, maintaining
>> for them is actually easier than you might think. All that would
>> really be required to make an arch specific package is the proper
>> scripts that patch and package for that arch. Otherwise, the source
>> code, itself, is pretty common across all arches.
>
> Yes, this is true. Just do the usual ./configure;make;make install.
> However, we run into problems with testing and cross-compiling. I know
> ARM binaries can be compiled on x86_64, but it requires either an ARM
> toolchain or a virtual machine. Without having real hardware, it's
> impossible to know for sure that your binaries work. Case in point,
> ESpeak crashes on the Pi due to some sound card bug. There is some
> workaround, but I don't have a Pi and I haven't followed it.
>
> That said, if you're only compiling for one or two distros, like Debian
> and Fedora, it might work and one person might be able to keep up. Just
> have Debian stable, testing, and oldstable containers. Then we have the
> issue of what distros do we support? Do we support Arch because it's
> bleeding edge or do we let the Arch Linux developers do that themselves?
> Do we support all supported versions of Ubuntu or only LTS? Do we
> support Debian Squeeze because it was the last version to work with
> serial ports, even though Debian doesn't support it anymore? What about
> security? How do we get the latest fix for the libespeak libraries out
> if the only person doing the compiling is sick?
>

>> Now, I have done this in the past. Used a source tar ball and compiled
>> on a debian based system and also compiled on a RedHat based system
>> and in both cases, the utility that I compiled functioned the same and
>> required the same libraries and development tools.
>
> Yes, but you're missing the point. You compiled that tool for systems
> that you use, presumably on those systems. Did you run the Debian binary
> on a Red Hat system? If you only need glibc, you might get lucky, but
> sooner or later, you're bound to run into shared library conflicts. The
> reason why you can't just switch your /etc/apt/sources.list on a Debian
> system to Ubuntu is due to this. Ubuntu often ships different library
> versions. Let's take a realistic example. Debian Stretch should be
> released very soon. Ubuntu 17.04 has just been released. In six months,
> Ubuntu 17.10 will come out. Debian won't have another stable release for
> about 24 months. Well, if your binary is compiled on Ubuntu 17.10 or
> [...]

Logo Hypra
Photo Jean-Philippe MENGUAL *JEAN-PHILIPPE MENGUAL**
DIRECTEUR TECHNIQUE ET QUALITÉ*
adresse84, quai de Jemappes, 75010, Paris
téléphone+331 84 71 06 61 <tel:+33%201%2000%2000%2000%2000>
courieljpmengual at hypra.fr
site webwww.hypra.fr
Facebook Hypra <https://www.facebook.com/hyprasoftware/>Twitter Hypra
<https://twitter.com/Hypra_>Linkedin