OT: ACB & NFB (was: Sonar)

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Apr 25 16:21:21 UTC 2017

The problem with having 2 different advocacy groups is that turf wars
are almost inevitable.  Of course, there is also an issue with
efficiency, each group has to spend money and volunteer resources on
things like offices, employees, web sites, etc. But the main problem is
personality conflicts and turf wars. A good example is the NFB's
reaction to a lawsuit by the ACB to make money accessible. The ACB sued
the Treasury Department to make them make our currency accessible. The
NFB issued a resolution calling the lawsuit a "publicity stunt" and the
President of the NFB at the time, Mark Maurer, testified before congress
that blind people didn't need accessible money. Another example is when
the ACB helped get the Access Board to propose a regulation that would
have required cities to install accessible walk signals whenever they
installed a new traffic signal. The NFB organized protests to block the
regulation from going forward.

It may be unfortunate that the two best examples are both by the NFB.
I've been told that the ACB is just as bad but I don't have any direct
evidence of that. I am not trying to demonize the NFB but to make a
point about how these things work. Take a step back and think about the
basic facts here. After spending decades advoccating for accessible
money, an advocacy group for the blind found itself sending it's
President to Congress to testify against exactly that. An advocacy group
for the blind found itself organizing protests to block regulations that
would have greatly expanded the number of accessible walk signals. How
do you get to a point like that? By being unwilling to compromise and
letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

PS: This message is already longer than I'd like but I will admit I have
not provided as much detail as I'd like about the 2 NFB positions I
outlined. Having argued about this for years, I know that supporters of
the NFB might take issue with what  I've said. But the truth is that my
points are basically true and accurate. For example, an NFB supporter
might say it is unfair to say Dr. Maurer testified against accessible
money. But it is fair. Any neutral observer, listening to Dr. Maurer's
testimony would conclude he was arguing against the Treasury department
bothering to make our money accessible at all. An NFB supporter might
argue that Dr. Maurer was right, we don't need accessible money. But the
NFB itself had been arguing for that for years.