Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 11:18:24 UTC 2017

Tony Baechler here.

I'm sorry, but while your statement is true on paper, in reality, it's
wrong. I know for a fact that Microsoft pays a huge amount of money into the
W3C. I believe they are represented on the board. It isn't just them. Lots
of big companies pay into them. I saw the list once many years ago.

Even if what you say is correct, just because the W3C makes rules which
should become policy doesn't mean the rules are actually followed. How many
inaccessible sites have you found lately? Even when their guidelines are
followed, that doesn't always guarantee accessibility. There are automated
tools which claim sites pass the W3C guidelines all the time, so companies
think they're off the hook. I've read various developer blogs which say the
WCAG is broken. Yes, the W3C does create web standards, but the web
accessibility guidelines are just that, guidelines. They're not standards
and nothing happens in the US if they aren't followed. Even so, Microsoft
hasn't followed web standards for years, since the dawn of IE.

It's worth noting that in the UK, it is illegal for companies not to make
their sites accessible. While our ADA should enforce this, it doesn't and
the DOJ seems in no hurry to do much about it. In the UK, companies have
been sued for not making their sites accessible and were forced to comply.
I've visited several UK-based sites and I've noticed that they are almost
always more accessible.