Re: Re : Re: Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 20:04:46 UTC 2017

According to Jean-Philippe MENGUAL:
# That is why I think we should have pre-installed Linux computers, new,
but to a typical Mac price.

Not at all. I for one don't want to have to pay the ridiculous price of
a Mac, and adding to the price certainly doesn't add to the value of the
computer, nor of the operating system that runs on it. Cost-free is
certainly not a sustainable answer, but low-cost certainly can be,
especially with all the low-cost computers available these days. For
example, it is now possible for me to sell a complete Linux solution to
anyone who needs it for the same $200 to $300 USD that matches the cost
of all these Windows PC sales we see in our local stores, and that
includes any markup for labor cost putting everything together and
installing the software. Additionally, the savings the end user will see
on his/her power bill each month will make it pay for itself before it
is obsoleted by newer and better hardware. Is this sustainable?
Absolutely, as long as there are customers. My only real worry now is
the Android tablet market that may drive people to purchase these
instead of a desktop computer, even if the desktop computer is much
smaller and more portable than the traditional version used to be, and
even though the operating system that is running on the microdesktop is
far more robust.
~Kyle