SBL

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Apr 28 22:11:49 UTC 2017

Luke Yelavich here, reply inline.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:25:38PM AEST, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> >2. It requires a patched 2.2 kernel. Version 2.2 is rather ancient and long
> >since dead. I didn't see a way in my quick reading of the docs to use newer
> >kernels.
>
> Thats right if you want to use sbl with the patch for the
> keyboard sniffer which is needed if sbl is used without a braille
> display.

I had a quick look at the sources for that the other day, and I actually
think it now uses the kernel's input event system, and the device nodes in
/dev/input. Didn't look any deeper as to how it determines what is a keyboard
etc, but this is what BrlTTY uses for keyboard listening, same with Fenrir,
even the GUI stack uses these device nodes these days.

So if I am correct, a patched kernel should no longer be required.

Luke