lost speech with upgrade from jessie to stretch

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Aug 13 21:16:05 UTC 2017

Greetings!

I upgraded from jessie to stretch this afternoon, after reading the
upgrade section of the release notes and other oddds and ends.

When I first rebooted, I apparently got speakup talking real slow.  I
had disabled espeakup.service after installing jessie, so I guessed the
upgrade must have re-enabled it.  Also, orca never came up.

I did

systemctl disable espeakup.service

and rebooted.  Speakup didn't come up, which I expected.  Orca never did
either.  Using alt-super-s didn't work.

I was never able to get speakup again.  Enabling espeakup.service didn't
work.  Trying to run the script I created to run it after I'd gone in
with orca (which I didn't have this afternoon) didn't work.  using
modprobe to load speakup_soft with staert=1 and then running the command
espeakup didn't work.

I therefore have no speakup and no orca.  I know I went into a couple of
terminals, where I typed these commands, because the poweroff command
actually shut the thing down.  With no speech, though, it's hard to
figure how to either disable pulseaudio according to the Debian
accessibility instructions or retrieve my previous set-up.  I'll be
grateful for any pointers.

Al