Some ncftp Questions?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Dec 31 21:02:57 UTC 2017

Tim here. Okay, those awk commands should have had "$1" instead of
"$2" in them (on my local machine there's an extra column before the
permission information). But the below was the information I was
hunting:

  drwx--x--x /home/chime/
  drwxr-xr-x /home/chime/dance/

That breaks down to

  d   (both are directories)
  r   (your user can read both directories)
  w   (your user can write both directories)
  x   (your user can get a directory listing of both directories)
  r/- (others in your group can read your ~/dance but not ~ directory)
  -   (users in your group may not write in either directory)
  x   (users in your group can get a directory listing of both directories)
  r/- (anybody can read your ~/dance but not ~ directory)
  -   (nobody may write in either directory)
  x   (anybody can get a directory listing of both directories)

This suggests that your home directory is *not* world-readable (good)
but that your ~/dance/ directory *is* world-readable (to anybody that
knows the path).

If you can FTP files *to* your local machine *from* your Shellworld
subdirectories but not your Shellworld home directory, this aligns
with what I see here that the FTP server is running as an "ftp"
user.

However if you can FTP files *from* your local machine *to* your
Shellworld subdirectory but not your Shellworld home directory, then
it's something weirder and it's likely a Shellworld configuration
issue.

Either way, I'd work to transition to sftp/scp/rsync which should let
you access files in your home directory and has the other benefits I
mentioned previously.

-tim