If you've ever used alpine, then you've probably seen this.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jun 14 19:36:43 UTC 2017

Hi all,
Mark Peveto here.
I'm working on ironing out a problem in Alpine.  If you've ever used it,
then I imagine you've seen the problem I'm about to describe.
Unless I change the editor during my initial setup, the editor that ships
with alpine won't read characters that are backspaced out.  Seems someone
told me there's a fix for this, but I'll be darned if I remember what it
is.  this problem only happens when using speakup.  If i'd choose to use
fenrir, then I'd not have that problem.  As far as I know, though, fenrir
isn't working with debian yet, and I'm not sure it'd support my hardware
synths.
 Does anyone know the fix for this?  Using nano can be problematic, since
it doesn't seem to want to leave the alt l option of long line wrapping on
by default anymore.

Mark Peveto
Registered Linux user number 600552
Everything happens after coffee!