working with nano

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Jun 16 18:34:47 UTC 2017

I learned to touch type on something that never had electricity running
through it, a Royal 440 typewriter.  I had a little computer exposure
before 1986 but got my first computer in that year and that was a CP/M
machine too.  In 1987 due to college study requirements I went over to
the dark side with an IBM XT with a 32mb hard drive.  Formal unix
classes started in 1989 when I started working for the Navy and started
using the learn utility on bsd systems.  Then in 2001 Windows '98 had to
be reinstalled by me without any sight using a sheet of brailled
instructions every two weeks since a kernel file kept getting corrupted
and that started me on a 1 year long journey with the penguin club of
Southern Maryland to get linux installed and accessible.  First time
that happened it was with a copy of redhat 5.0 I bought at Staples.
Unfortunately Staples doesn't sell Linux any more so I minimize my
purchases in those stores.
For those that tried vim and ran into trouble with it, you might try ex
and ex is a line-oriented part of vim with all the power vi part of vim
is a subset of ex.  If you knew how to use edlin on dos and liked it
you'll like ex.  Another part of vim and this is really good if less
isn't available is view that does much of what less does.