text browsers and current web standards

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Jun 23 12:31:34 UTC 2017

As much as I think every web "standard" aside from vanilla HTML should
be avoided unless absolutely necessary(and even then, why use HTML if
plain text can get the job done?), I agree it's a necessary evil to
have the means of dealing with pages made by those who put eye candy
and fancy layouts before content and ease of use(seriously, some
websites make me wonder if whoever designed the UI even knows what a
keyboard is). I mean, in web terms, JavaScript is as old as dirt, yet
as far as I know, there is no text mode browser with even partial
javascript support, and while I have NoScript in my Firefox to block
all that JavaScript that likes to trip up Orca, some sites are
completely unusable without the monstrosity.

Anyways, as Aptitude isn't getting any hit for clifox even after
adding contrib and non-free to my sources.list, mind providing a link
to more information or perhaps a link to download a development build?
I suspect a hypothetical modern text browser with it's own backend
would be much smaller, but being able to use Firefox from the terminal
and get rid of Orca and what of my xserver Firefox doesn't force me to
install would definitely be a step in the right direction as far as
I'm concerned.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.