Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon May 1 17:11:58 UTC 2017

Hello, this is Samuel,

Tony, on mer. 26 avril 2017 03:26:56 -0700, wrote:
> As I understand it, it isn't the fault of Speakup that it took so long to
> get to staging and is still there. The kernel developers were absolutely
> opposed to including it and wouldn't help at all.

That's not exactly right.  The kernel developers were opposed to
including it as it *was*, i.e. a driver that aggressively *steals* i/o
ports from another driver, doesn't respect the coding style, etc.

Now, for the help, kernel developers never contributed things towards
making speakup behave correctly.  But they never opposed to it either,
it's just that nobody found the time to work on it.  It's a pity that I
myself never found the time to actually work on it, and it's great that
Okash eventually found the time to do it, and it's making good progress.
Probably the integrated-board drivers will have to stay in staging due
to the port-stealing method, but once we get external-device drivers are
migrated to using tty/serio ops, there's good chance speakup can get out
of staging.

Samuel