Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon May 1 20:36:14 UTC 2017

Luke Yelavich here, reply inline.
> The technical reason is merely that it needs implemeting withing
> syslinux: that requires sound drivers and whatnot, while the BIOS itself
> provides the support for beeps.  So it's feasible, just needs to be done.

We also have to keep the move to UEFI in mind for X86 systems. I have a
machine here with UEFI, and it does not have a speaker, and even booting a
legacy BIOS image, it does not beep. SO while I agree the beep is one way to
indicate to the user when to press a key, it is not going to work in all
circumstances, and I think the beep not being heard will become more common
as more people move to using UEFI hardware.

Luke