SBL

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue May 2 16:43:44 UTC 2017

Christian here..., reply inline,

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 08:11:49 +1000, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Luke Yelavich here, reply inline.
>
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:25:38PM AEST, Linux for blind general
> discussion wrote:
>>> 2. It requires a patched 2.2 kernel. Version 2.2 is rather ancient
>>> and long
>>> since dead. I didn't see a way in my quick reading of the docs to
>>> use newer
>>> kernels.
>>
>> Thats right if you want to use sbl with the patch for the
>> keyboard sniffer which is needed if sbl is used without a braille
>> display.
>
> I had a quick look at the sources for that the other day, and I actually
> think it now uses the kernel's input event system, and the device nodes in
> /dev/input. Didn't look any deeper as to how it determines what is a
> keyboard
> etc, but this is what BrlTTY uses for keyboard listening, same with Fenrir,
> even the GUI stack uses these device nodes these days.

That are good news and I will test it during the next weeks and tell you the result.

Because I have a brailledisply, I never needed to use the patch for the keyboard sniffer..., but anyway, it would be good to know if it is working with the current kernels.

Cheers,

  Christian

--
Christian Schoepplein - chris at schoeppi.net - http://www.schoeppi.net