Accessibility Project Mailing Lists

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed May 3 13:14:26 UTC 2017

My goal here is to help improve accessibility for as many people as
possible at minimal average cost per user. Doing that through FOSS
accessibility on FOSS platforms while using FOSS applications would be
great, but an increase in user/developer communications that leads to
an improvement on proprietary accessibility on proprietary platforms
while using proprietary applications is still a net gain according to
this part of my utility function.

Perhaps freedesktop.org isn't the place to include information on
mailing lists for proprietary projects(even ones that run on FOSS
platforms) or FOSS projects that don't run on a FOSS platform, but
that doesn't mean there isn't value in making those lists more widely
known. You'll probably never convince me that those who pay for JAWS
aren't being ripped off, or that persuading them to switch to a more
affordable alternative isn't the right thing to do, but even JAWS
Loyalists deserve better accessibility, and if I knew of a way JAWS
users could offer feedback to JAWS developers that might actually
matter, it would be pretty crappy of me to deliberately withhold that
information from JAWS users.

That said, I agree that it might be counterproductive to contribute to
the conversation on a list for a project one is not using and has
little interest in using.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.