yikes! no internet

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri May 5 12:10:27 UTC 2017

Hmmm. Well, that rules out the obvious. I don't like those gateways. I've
always had bad luck with them. A dedicated modem and router work better. I
think it reset itself which is why you can't log in. I think you'll probably
have to call your ISP. The cable would be the only obvious thing other than
completely unplugging the gateway, waiting a minute and plugging it in. A
simple reboot won't help. You could do a full reset but you would lose your
settings. . Sometimes cables wear out, but not usually. Since the PC is
wired, I suggest trying a rescue CD to see if it's a Ubuntu or hardware
problem. It seems like hardware, but if your gateway went weird, that would
explain why your Internet would drop. Is your PC using DHCP? Rebooting
should get a new IP address from the gateway and fix it. If your using
static IPs, something in your gateway probably changed. I doubt this, but it
could be a DNS problem. What if you go directly to an IP address? If those
don't work, I'm out of ideas. Hopefully your ISP can help you, but they're
usually useless.