working wit ubuntu mate 17.04 and espeak-ng. Cannot change voice

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun May 7 12:49:34 UTC 2017

Tony Baechler here, reply below.

On 5/6/2017 8:40 AM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> With standard espeak, you could switch to /usr/lib/espeak-data/voices, and cp en-us to en, and you were golden.  The espeak-data/voices directory is
> now in a slightly different directory, and is now called espeak-ng-data/voices, but the en and en-us files do not exist for me to copy around.

This is a bad idea anyway. This should be set in the configuration. If you
randomly copy files around, they get overwritten on package upgrade.

> How does one get the US-english voice in espeak-ng now?  I'd really like to change it if I can.  It's easier for me to understand.

I compiled it, but I haven't played much with it, so I don't know.

> This is with espeak-ng and speechd-up.  I thought about pulling speechd-up and installing espeakup.  Maybe it'd be easier to get the US english voice
> that way, but I wanted to see if there was another solution before I sarted uninstalling things and installing others, and possibly making a mess.

Just install espeakup. It's more responsive, takes less memory and is easier
to configure. You can edit /etc/default/espeakup to set the language.