Central a11y repository

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon May 8 10:15:30 UTC 2017

Tony Baechler here.

Honestly, I don't really have answers to your questions, but you raise good
points. I installed and played with nix and it's very accessible. It's just
a suite of command line tools to manipulate packages. It could easily be
scripted. In fact, the install script just downloads and extracts binaries
for your system. I saw no support for anything other than x86 and x86_64, so
no ARM, but the C source looks portable enough.

I wasn't thinking about low memory systems. Ultimately, it's doubtful that
you could use it on a small system. The memory wouldn't be an issue, but the
disk space definitely would. Just a minimal install with no packages takes
221 MB. However, with drives being so cheap, this is hardly an issue,
especially since ARM isn't officially supported anyway. There is no reason
why it couldn't be, it just isn't.

Regarding sandboxing, no, I don't think that's it. It modifies the system
environment to add the "nix store" to the path. Since each package gets its
own directory, it's impractical to add potentially thousands of directories
to the system path. It symlinks the binaries somewhere (I haven't quite
figured out where, but somewhere under /nix) and adds that directory to the
user's path. You can have multiple environments and switch among them. I
think your worry about Orca wouldn't be an issue. I guess someone could
install several different versions of various desktops and create a
conflict, but even then, they could create a different user environment. I
haven't tried installing multiple versions of a package, but when I
installed hello, I was able to run hello from the shell as normal. The only
time I see sandboxing being an issue is if you use nix-shell which runs an
isolated shell for you to test or build from source. My server doesn't have
X, so I can't test this further.

The obvious workaround is to only install the accessibility stack from nix
and not from the running distro. As an example, it said you could run
multiple versions of Firefox, but didn't deal with accessibility. I guess
others would have to look into this further. I think you can still only run
one version at a time, even if multiple versions are installed. Yes, each
app has its own dependencies in its own directory. I don't know how it works
around the same services being launched multiple times, but it uses a custom
init manager which I haven't looked into yet. Based on a quick look, to me,
it looks like a better base for a custom distro than Fedora which has no
great accessibility anyway. While nix says nothing at all about
accessibility and the nixos distro is probably not accessible, the package
manager is no different than Arch or most others in that it's just command
line tools. Obviously, this would need to be investigated further.