living in the consolex

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri May 26 05:32:56 UTC 2017

Hi,
It has a -really-quiet option which stop most output.
Also just shut up your screen reader while playing music will work.
If it is speakup, press the right bottom key on your keyboard, the enter
key on the numpad for shut up.
You can also set some config parameter in the mplayer config file in /etc
to keep it quiet.
for printing, just run
print any_file_name
If you have a properly defined mailcap file, things will just work.
You can usually also just run
lp any_file_name
once your printer is configured properly.
Web browsing is the one area where one has problems from the console.
The lynx  browser, that is l y n x, works well for many things, but does
not support modern web pages.
That said, I use it unless I really cannot do otherwise.
The three commands, see, edit and print uses your mailcap file and is
quite powerful.
e.g. if I do
see some_file.doc
it will read a microsoft word document to me.
If I do
see song.wav
It will start playing the music.
FWIW, Willem