Fan goes wild.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 14:40:47 UTC 2017

Yes, top is the traditional tool for checking on such things. It can be
a bit tricky to use as it's constantly updating.

One quick and dirty way to stop and start, of course, is the ScrollLock
key.

Or you can execute top like this for a quick, momentary snapshot:

top -n1 |head

I like that version of top so well, I've aliased the top command to it.

Last thing I'd like to point out is all the raw data available for
direct access under /sys/devices. If you have a particular problem, and
aren't immediately finding a tool to help you track the problem, you can
always write a script. Here's an example that no longer works for me,
but that's because I haven't needed it recently. Should I need it again,
I'm confident some tweaking would make this functional again.

This script, when I needed and used it, provided me data every 5 seconds
on the current loadaverage, cpu temperature, plus the name of the app
consuming the most resources. Also, this script logged.

At the time I needed this script, I was debugging my loadaverages
climbing very high. If you've ever experienced that, you know that tools
like top don't work all that well when one's load average goes crazy.
Basically, the situation is that the computer can't keep up. That's why
the constant on screen reporting, and why the logging.

<begin code>
#!/bin/bash
#First we remove our old log, lest it grow too much
rm -f /var/log/sysdata
#Tracking load averages, temps, and perhaps top consumers
while true; do
LOAD=$(cat /proc/loadavg |cut -b 1-5)
CPU0=$(($(cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon1/temp2_input)/1000))
CPU1=$(($(cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon1/temp3_input)/1000))
CPU2=$(($(cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon1/temp4_input)/1000))
CPU3=$(($(cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon1/temp5_input)/1000))
CPU=$((($CPU0+$CPU1+$CPU2+$CPU3)/4))
#Sort pids to greatest consumer
for APP in $(ps -e --sort %cpu |cut -b 17-); do
	echo $APP >/dev/null
done
#Construct our display/log string
LOG="$LOAD $CPU $APP"
#Display it
echo $LOG
#Also display time and date
#echo $(date '+%T %A %e %B %G')
echo
#Log it
echo $LOG >>/var/log/sysdata
echo $(date '+%T %A %e %B %G') >>/var/log/sysdata
echo >>/var/log/sysdata
sleep 5; done
<end code>

hth