Recording sound from USB/hidraw device

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Oct 21 22:49:14 UTC 2017

I recently purchased a portable cassette player/digitizer for ripping
old 4-track audio cassettes, and now need a means of recording the
input from USB to a file.

The included mini CD-ROM includes installers for the Windows and Mac
version of Audacity along with a PDF manual that's little more than a
tech illiterate's guide to what the buttons on the device itself and
how to install Audacity from the disc and use it to record mp3.
Installing the Linux version of Audacity via apt would be trivial, but
getting it up and running with Orca not so much, and I would prefer a
command line solution anyways.

Redirecting the output of ls /dev/ to a file both with and without the
player connected and using diff on the results, I've determined that
the device shows up as /dev/hidraw4, which Google informs me raw data
for a human input device, but I haven't been able to find anything
useful beyond that.

Ideally, I'd like to record to wav or compress directly to flac so
I've got the best quality source if I do any post-processing on the
recordings.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.