Questions about Mac, emacspeak and Braille

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Sep 26 18:59:13 UTC 2017

There are plenty of voices. Go into voiceover utility into the speech category and the voices tab. There are the voices already on your Mac and there are ones you can download. Also infovox voices can be purchased. You can switch between the voices on your Mac by using cmd-option-control-downarrow. If you hold down command-option-control and right arrow you can also change the pitch and reate and volume.

As for setting up brltty, if you have Macports installed on your computer and are using a supported display, it doesn't need to be that hard. You don't mention which display you are using. I am sure there are probably others on the list that could help you with that and I will be glad to try to help you. You can also use the brltty list if you have not already subscribed to it.

However, I don't understand what this has to do with your job interview. I don't think Apple cares how well you use terminal or how well you use emacspeak or some other system with another braille program. They are going to want you to be using Apple braille and Text Edit and Pages. Perhaps you are talking about your own personal use which will make it easier for you to do the job? I am assuming apple braille works on your computer with your braille display and you are talking only about work in terminal.