slint installed

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Feb 5 21:54:44 UTC 2018

Hello,

Le 05/02/2018 à 21:41, Linux for blind general discussion a écrit :
> Rather than upgrade, I installed slint and speech on console level is rock solid so far as I can tell!  I ran mandb -t as root and got 99 warnings returned.  Should I run mandb -c and disregard those warnings?

I tried. Among these lines (97 here) I have found that 48 are significant, all whatis parsing failures.

And "man mandb" says this about that:
[quoted man page begins]

The following warning messages can be emitted during database building.

<filename>: whatis parse for page(sec) failed
       An attempt to extract whatis line(s) from the  given  <filename>
       failed.   This  is  usually due to a poorly written manual page,
       but if many such messages are emitted it is likely that the sys‐
       tem  contains  non-standard  manual pages which are incompatible
       with the man-db whatis parser.  See the WHATIS  PARSING  section
       in lexgrog(1) for more information.
[quoted man pages ended]

Amazingly I have to plead guilty for 26 of these 48 buggy whatis, as
they come from translations of Slackware packages tools provided by
Slint translators, in Ukrainian, Greek and Farsi (Persian). Maybe there
is a problem with the locale setting used as if I type e.g.:
LANG=fa.IR whatis installpkg
I get this output (two lines below):
whatis: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
installpkg (8)       - install Slackware packages.

In Russian instead the translatin works (two lines below):
didier[/tmp]$ LANG=ru_RU.utf8 whatis installpkg
installpkg (8)       - устанавливает пакеты Slackware.

Anyway there is a fallback to English, so that's not the end of the
world.

And after having run mandb -c I get this summary (3 lines below):
141 man subdirectories contained newer manual pages.
22746 manual pages were added.
0 stray cats were added.

So that's only 48 warnings for 22746 man pages indexed.

tl;dr: go ahead and run mandb -c

Greetings,

Didier