Blog or CMS recommendation

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Jan 22 13:07:55 UTC 2018

Tim here.  You've received several good suggestions here.  It largely
depends on your proficiency with Linux, how much control you want,
and who you intend to submit content.

For your use case, I'd lean towards either a hosted solution or
possibly a static site-generator.

You can get hosted blogging for free (as long as you tolerate
advertisements on the page) on either wordpress.com or blogger.com as
long as you're willing to accept a sub-domain name such as
"edhoari.wordpress.com".  For a minimal charge, you can purchase a
domain-name such as "blindcommunity.id" and pay to have them back the
site.  This option is the easiest both for you and for anybody else
with whom you might intend to collaborate as they have fairly
polishes user-interfaces for adding content.  As an added benefit,
they deal with all the security patching, backups, load-balancing,
and other headaches.

Stepping up from there, you can often get very cheap (i.e.,
under $5/month) hosting for the blog engine of your choice.  You can
either set up a dynamic database-backed blog like Wordpress or
Drupal, or you can go with a static site generator (I'm partial to
Nikola and use that, but they're all largely similar in features).
Usually with such a hosted service you also get email accounts and
have more control over which blog software & plugins you use.

With a static site generator, there's less to worry about when it
comes to security as you just push up your bundle of files to deploy
and the entire directory on the server can be limited to read-only.

With a dynamic blog site like Drupal or Wordpress, you become
responsible for security updates, backups, load-balancing, etc.  It
can be nice to have that sort of control if you need it. But it's
also a lot of headache for a side-project.

Hope this gives you some options with their benefits & drawbacks so
you can choose what suits you best.

-tim