amazon?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Aug 25 23:21:13 UTC 2019

Microsoft has been recommitted to accessibility since their new CEO took
over. Narrator is a viable screen reader now, and you can install
Windows completely eyes free now. I've also heard their magnification
software has improved a lot. They have apps on the App Store designed
especially with the blind in mind, such as Seeing AI. They developed a
way to teach programming concepts to young blind children called Code
Builder. They have a corporate Chief Accessibility Officer. They have a
Disability Answer Desk. There CEO has made accessibility part of their
mission statement https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3SP6X1_wuc

What I had in mind when I made the post below though (which was pruned
from this thread) was their 2019 Super Bowl commercial where they had
disabled children playing on the XBox. They didn't do any of this to
pick up a few sales to disabled people or even because of a threat of a
law suit. They did it because it was the right thing to do, and they're
also cashing in on the positive PR.

I'm not saying Microsoft is perfect and that they don't have a ways to
go making some of their software more accessible, but they're a good
example of a company who could shrug off caring about the disabled, but
instead they've changed course and now seem to have a real commitment
towards accessibility.

--
Christopher (CJ)
Chaltain at Gmail

On 8/25/19 5:52 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Since when is Microsoft committed to accessibility? I thought the
> whole reason NVDA exists is because Window's built-in screen reader is
> garbage and JAWS is prohibitively expensive. Also, I thought Microsoft
> was pretty much the poster child for shrugging off lawsuits and
> continuing to screw over their customers as much as possible.

Christopher (CJ)
Chaltain at Gmail