Suggestions for Ratpoison-friendly apps?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 15:37:02 UTC 2021

I have a few questions about SeaMonkey:

1. Is there an easy way to install it under Debian? I'm not
comfortable compiling from source(and I'm pretty sure everything I'd
need to install to compile it takes up more disk space than Firefox,
kind of defeating the point of finding a lighterweight alternative),
and while adding a PPA to my sources.list isn't too hard, the only one
I can find seems to be targetted at Ubuntu, not Debian, and I don't
want to mess around with security keys if I can avoid it. I've tried
to find a direct download of a .deb to install manually, but to no
avail. And I did try temporarily enabling contrib and non-free,
SeaMonkey simply isn't available from the official Debian repositories
and even the Debian wiki gives the source or PPA choice. If it
matters, my running system is 32-bit.

2. Is it possible to install just the SeaMonkey web browser? I use
Gmail's web interface so have no use for a e-mail client, am happy
with nano as a stand-alone editor, and don't use IRC, and it kind of
defeats the point of finding a lightweight alternative to Firefox if
the added bloat from the stuff I won't be using eats up all the
savings the browser alone would provide.

3. Wikipedia informs me SeaMonkey works with pre-quantum Firefox
extensions... Does that mean I can install NoScript classic in
SeaMonkey? I hate JavaScript and the like withhow it slows down many
webpages and often creates accessibility issues, but too many websites
require it to function at all, the overhaul NoScript underwent when
Firefox Quantum broke compatibility took it from easy to use to
unusable, and going into about:config to toggle javascript.enable is
more of a hassle than just dealing with all but the most egregious of
badly behaved and unnecessary JavaScript. Getting back the super
convenient and straightforward to use context menu entry from the
pre-Quantum days would be a godsend.