Now Fixed: Archlinux Speakup problems after alsa package upgrade

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Dec 22 16:38:27 UTC 2021

Hi,

I have spent sometime today trying to get espeakup working on one of my
two Linux systems. I now have it working with alsa-lib-1.2.6.1-1 and
Espeakup-0.90 on Arch, using standard Arch packaging.

What was the fix?

I introduced a file:

/etc/asound.conf

<begin file contents>
ctl.!default {
        type hw
	        card 0
		}

		<end file contents>

		Why that should matter is beyond me. Seems like this
		should be the default behavior, no?

		Best,

		Janina

--