audio cutting and exporting

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jul 21 21:12:39 UTC 2021

Tim here.  Beyond the other options folks have recommended, here are
two more:

1) if your input files are MP3, using "mp3splt" (that's "split"
without the letter "i") manages to do it without losing quality as
would normally happen if you load a .mp3 converting it to raw audio
data, slice & dice, and then re-encode it back as a new .mp3 file.

I use this for automating the removal of some annoying adverts in my
podcasts. This splits off the first 40 seconds ("0.40" is "0 minutes
and 40 seconds") and the last (EOF=end-of-file) 30 seconds:

  mp3splt -o "%n_%f" podcast.mp3 0.40 EOF-0.3

It produces output files for each of those parts, but you can then
delete the parts you don't want.  It requires knowing where the
split-points are that you want to chop at.  Additionally, there's
"mp3join" which will paste such pieces back together, allowing you to
chop them up with mp3splt and stitch them back together in the order
you want without re-encoding the audio.

2) if you're processing .wav files, you can use "sox"

 sox file_in.wav file_out.wav trim 30 $((20*60))

which will produce "file_out.wav" starting 30 seconds in and output
the 20 minutes following that.  It will work for a variety of
input/output formats, but transcodes, so you can lose sound quality.

Hopefully this puts a few more tools in your belt.

-tim