In the mood for something new

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Nov 24 01:16:15 UTC 2021

Just chiming in here, as this question wasn't directed at me,, but this would be
my answer ... just my opinion, but taken from a primarily technical perspective.

RPM packaging format, a plugin-based modular package management tool along with
graphical package management, the copr system including semiautomatic serverside
builds, the choice of a release cycle or a rolling release model, snapd and
flatpak installable from official repositories or installed by default, not a
derivative distro, far more software applications available from all of system
repositories, third-party repositories that can be added easily, snapd, flatpak
and copr repositories, all the newest software versions with support for the
latest compilers, toolchains and system libraries, no need to hold back new
upstream software because a toolchain or compiler is out of date, broad and
diverse community support, systemd, which I happen to like, and Pipewire and
Wireplumber installed by default, although these do still have their bugs. I'm
sure there's more I'm not mentioning, but these are the best parts of Fedora
overall. Many distros, especially derivatives, just can't keep up with the
latest upstream compilers and such ... from what I've been reading, even Arch
has some trouble with this. Maybe some of these things can cause potential
breakage of older software, but this is why Fedora does have the choice between
the 6-month release cycle for its stability and the rolling release model that
is especially good for those of us who like to live on the bleeding edge.
~Kyle