Fedora and virtual machines not starting

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Nov 25 15:11:35 UTC 2021

Oddly, I got no sound using both Workstation and MATE-Compiz 34 isos in qemu.
This seems like a series of bugs with pipewire and/or wireplumber, they don't
like something having to do with virtualization, either something with session
management that is different somehow or the virtual sound hardware
implementations. Either way, this would appear to explain why most other distros
run with sound on a vm, and why Fedora has sound on bare metal, but it doesn't
get sound in a virtual machine. Most other distros are still using Pulseaudio
out of the box and either haven't yet packaged pipewire and wireplumber or
haven't yet made them defaults. As most of the time this kind of thing is tested
on bare metal, vm bugs may take longer to find in testing, so this will need to
be reported on the bug tracking system if it's not already there. I can take a
look and report the bug or either add my findings if it's already reported.
~Kyle