What is the easiest and most accessible editor?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Nov 30 08:14:00 UTC 2021

Thanks Didier for Flatpak addition to slint. After reading the
article
you referred to, my opinion of Flatpak did not change: while the
author
complains about disk space etc, I think every package management
system--whether on Linux or whichever OS--has its own setabacks
just as
its own strengths. The appeal of Flatpak for me is the ability to
run
updates if your distro has not yet updated. As for me, Slint is my
every
day platform at home or work, but there are some applications that
have failed to run because drivers for Slackware are either
outdated or
not found. So Flatpak Has managed to resolve some of my personal
worries
for the past seven months or so. I just believe that someone's
poison
might be my own remedy: its a colourful world anyway as my next
point
will demonstrate.

So, back to the issue of text editors: thanks Tim for pointing the
pros and cons of different editors. For instance, while Kyle might
have
issues with Emacs, I respect his own opinions and some strong
about it.

Here I use it as my primary editor. That extensibility through
Elisp
which some  find problematic as an editor trying to be everything
for
everyone, is what appeals to me, particularly factoring its
accessibility.

A case in point where I find Emacs
powerful is that at my work I often do data analysis. I need a
good
statistical package, so I use R. I could of course use it on the
command
line, but I prefer working in a window where I can easily review
my
inputs and outputs in real-time. So using the ESS package manager,
I do
not have problems with accessibility. I can copy results as plain
text,
print reports, load datasets from other statistics packages plus
many
other tasks without consulting a pair of eyes.

Like what I said, I do not have a computer science degree. Emacs,
just
like vim, both come with a detailed documentation, so for me any
programme with good documentation is a winner. I may read such
documentation as a book or refer to it any time I run into a
problem,
and will only ask on a mailing list when I run out of ideas and
the
documentation is of no help.

At the same time, I
understand anyone who might not be comfortable with Emacs'
keystrokes
and interface: this is the beauty of diversity. A close friend of
mine
hates emacs to the core, but personally I find it ludicrous to be
emotional about text editors. They are just here to help us do
things we
care about: just to be productive at our workplaces at learning
institutions.

Warm regards,

Ishe