What is the easiest and most accessible editor?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Nov 30 17:45:03 UTC 2021

Interesting. The problem is that email itself has several components that don't
fit well into an editor window. Reading and writing emails for example fits into
an editor style window just fine, but setting up email accounts, moving through
folders and lists of messages, expanding and collapsing threads, etc just don't
fit into that box very well.

I also had a look at one point at the shell terminal. Whereas it's good to be
able to edit the current command line, I found that pressing the up arrow key to
put the previous command back on the screen to either repeat or modify didn't
bring up the previous command, but instead put my cursor on the last line of the
previous command's output. Shells need to be line edited, not screen edited, and
that's where the whole thing fell flat, especially since as I recall, I was even
able to accidentally overwrite command output because the whole screen is in an
editable ... buffer I think they call it.

Regarding the key sequences, x is a way to cross something out, x it out, cut
it. C stands for copy, and I guess v got its paste functionality because it's
right next to cut and copy. Not sure about that one. Still, it's better than
some of the key combinations I find even in nano, control+w to find something
for example, or even better is control+q, which is supposed to quit, but instead
performs a backward search. What the ...? Emacs keys are even worse, since as I
recall, finding something requires two key combinations, and if I remember
correctly, neither includes an f for find or even an s for search. Emacs puts me
in mind of the old days of a little program I used in school called Turbo
Pascal. That horrible thing ... if I wanted to compile the program I had just
written,-  I still remember it - I had to press control+k and then d. Again,
what the ...? I don't know ... I just did it ... because that's what the teacher
told me I had to do in order to compile my program. Nothing in that key sequence
could be thought of as compile or even build, well, maybe the d on the end of
build. But that sure was a nightmare to have to remember that that's what that
crazy combination of keys did. I can only imagine everything working that way,
which was the experience I had when I looked at some Emacs documentation. But
then I could be wrong, since the last time I even opened the application was
probably 15 years ago, and I didn't even see the nice little help thingy at the
bottom of the screen like what I got from Nano and Pico that I had used before
it. At least in vim I was able to use the :help command to get me started, but
even that was much more complicated than it needed to be, especially when I just
wanted to cut something and paste it somewhere else in the same file. I do like
its search and replace functionality though. %s/something/else/g if I remember
correctly, just like in the sed command, will replace every occurrence of
something with else. That said, I can just as easily run a find and replace, put
something in the search field and else in the replace field, then tick the box
that says replace all, and it's just as good, and doesn't even use more fingers,
since the tab key is replacing the / key in this use case.