What is the easiest and most accessible editor?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Nov 30 18:43:37 UTC 2021

In all fairness, a pair of scissors, probably the most common tool for
cutting paper, kind of looks like the letter X, but honestly ctrl+x
for cut and ctrl+v for paste most likely came about because ctrl+C is
copy and x, c, and v are adjacent on qwerty keyboards and there's a
certain sense to putting related functions together... Then again,
even the mnemonic keystrokes probably only work as such in the
language of the one who picked them and maybe a few closely related
languages if you're lucky... and that we even call these functions cut
and paste is arguably an artifact of a by gone era, similar to how
often GUIs use floppy discs as the save icon or old-fashioned
microphones for record icons.

I will admit, I often find myself trying to use nano's key bindings
when typing stuff in Firefox... and if I had the programming chops to
write my own web browser, I'd probably have the Universal GUI
keybindings as the default when editing text if I was going to release
it, but would want to have the option to use nano keybindings if not
just embed a nano "window" in the active text box.

Though, on the subject of comparing emacs to a desktop environment...
and perhaps it is more accurate to call emacs a TUI DE than a text
editor, as a general rule, those applications another user mentions as
things you'd expect a desktop environment to be bundled with are
completely out of the way when not in use, can be ignored or removed
if you don't use them, and can be replaced with other applications if
you so choose. From the sounds of it, emacs is less a case of bundling
an editor with other applications and the suite having a unified look
and feel and more a case of mashing several applications together and
if you just want a standalone editor, there's no way of uninstalling
the other stuff, though admittedly, that's speaking from an outsider
perspective.

If nothing else, it sounds like emacs runs contrary to the "do one
thing and do it well" and modularity aspects of the Unix philosophy.

Though, to add another text-mode editor to the pile, there's also e3,
who's two main advertised features are small size(Aptitude lists
uncompressed size at 72K compared to nano's 2833k) and multiple
executables that each duplicate the keybindings of a different text
editor(including emacs, vi, pico, and nedit).