different desktops

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 15:54:20 UTC 2022

Sure. Ratpoison due to Strychnine is excellent.

Nowadays, though, I've found that i3 is yet another contender. Though I still find it difficult to access the taskbar, it is highly configurable just like ratpoison.

I also tried icewm, and I wasn't impressed by its accessibility.

On Wed, Apr 06, 2022 at 01:50:50PM +0100, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>Yes another vote for Ratpoison here
>
>That being said, I've not got IceWM to work with Orca, or anything, so
>what am I missing?
>
>I do though need to get scripting things for Ratpoison. Mostly things
>like a battery monitor and a few other things
>
>On Wed, Apr 06, 2022 at 06:27:16AM -0400, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>> ratpoison with strychnine is a contender since you don't use the mouse in
>> that environment and everything is pointed at the keyboard.  The icewm
>> environment may be another contender.
>>

>> On Wed, 6 Apr 2022, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>>
>> > Sure, imho all desktops were not created equal when it comes to accessibility.
>> >
>> > The fact that Mate is the first to go to says a lot about the ease of
>> > navigating its controls to select applications, getting to the desktop,
>> > launching the default Caja file manager etc.
>> >
>> > These are the things that define accessibility and some desktops are not able
>> > to do that. I am also thinking of the ability to check on the computer status
>> > such as the battery, network connectivity and so forth.

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)