FYI - Command Line Programs for the Blind

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 19:20:08 UTC 2022

But there's my point. It may be that you don't want your calendar and
search bar, but others do. We can argue all day long that they should
not be on by default, or that they should. The point I'm trying to make
is that Thunderbird is mostly usable right out of the box, cluttered
though it is, but Mutt makes you go through a ton of configurations just
to make it read a mailbox, which is something that Thunderbird can do in
about 30 seconds, but takes a week of fiddling about in Mutt's nearly
incomprehensible configuration files that are not documented internally
very well, or wading through tons of online documentation just to find
out how to set up a mailbox. There is such a thing as exposing an end
user to every conceivable setup, allowing him/her to make changes to
every aspect of the system, and then there's dropping the end user into
the middle of the ocean without a life jacket and expecting him/her to
be able to find the way to the shore. As I said, I would pretty much
consider myself to be a power user, and I couldn't survive Mutt
configuration apart from *mostly* getting it working on a home computer
that was doubling as an email server at the time, and that's not
practical for most people, especially those who just want to be able to
set up a new computer and start reading and responding to email in a few
minutes.

~Kyle