FYI - Command Line Programs for the Blind

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 06:39:11 UTC 2022

Answers inline
Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater at gmail.com

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 5:06 PM Linux for blind general discussion <
blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:

> With Linux however...I don't have to have an email account to log in
>
> No, but you do need an email address for checking email, logging into
Amazon, using Facebook, Twitter, all kinds of online services ask for it
anyway. Might as well have one.

> I have the choice to run a desktop, or none at all
>
> Yeah, that's good if you're a console user.

> I have the ability to install what I want, from a trusted source without
> fear of oh this site's shady, is it a virus, type fears.
>
> Winget (Microsoft's package manager), or you can use scoop, or chocolatey
(third party package managers) or the Microsoft Store I guess.

> I can do one command to update my system, without having to reboot.
>
> Usually just winget upgrade --all or scoop update *

> I don't get unneeded software installed at boot time that returns with
> updates, and I don't have to use a debloat script written by a third party
> to chop out bits of the OS
>
> Windows 11 if pretty lean these days.

> Oh and, yes....
>
> It's my machine. I can set it up how I want, with the programs I want and
> need, without some arbitrary bit of the OS going mg this this not well
> known it is a virus are you sure you want to run this!'
>
> Oh hey look, SE-Linux is just chomping at the bits to get at BRLTTY for
trying to use some socket or other. Experienced on Fedora 35 Mate
Compis spin.

> Oh and, I can get my machine working without spending inordinate amounts
> of money on A11Y tech and software, though as well. On a console, speakup
> and Fenrir work well. Orca isn't perfect but nor are screenreaders on the
> Windows/Mac sides of things, and those are insanely bigger and more
> resourceful companies
>
> NVDA is free and open source software, with tons of useful addons for
stuff from time announcement every so often to translation, PDF OCR, other
voices, and so on. Also we have several Twitter clients, two Reddit
clients, tons of games, braille translation software, and so on.