`alpine refuses to save password

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Feb 11 12:59:46 UTC 2022

Jude here.
alpine used to have an inbox-path and an smtp-path variables in .pinerc
and the format was the path to get to the provider followed by a colon
followed by login name followed by a colon followed by password all on one
line.
it does not show in the help for those variables any longer so perhaps it
got removed.  In any event you'll need to generate an app-password to use
alpine with google and I don't know how long that will be possible since
google may discontinue all app-passwords by june of 2022.  If that's the
case, you can arrange to have all gmail forwarded to a mail address on a
domain you own so you can read them locally.