Voting: Which game would you like to have on Linux?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Feb 27 16:17:24 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

thank you all a lot for your reactions, they were really helpful in
better understanding the needs of our Linux community. :)

I'm going to answer few questions that showed up.

What's going to be the nature of the games?

Right now, the games are going to be GTK gui applications. Their control
will be a hibrid between parts handled by standard GUI means like
settings, new game dialog etc. and a speech interface, like the one you
can find in Spoonbil games for windows.

TTS is going to be handled by speech dispatcher.

A TUI is something I'm not explicitly against, but it's not related to
my long-term goals, so I most likely won't support it myself.

At least not for now, as there are other things that need more urgent
attention from my side.

Of course, if anyone want to do it themselves, you'll be free to, the
projects will be completely open-source.

As for my intended 2048 design...

Personally, I really like the BG 2048 approach, where you can explore
the board using arrow keys like on a virtual chessboard and you can make
a move by pressing Shift+Arrow key.

Shift+Arrow keys are quite handy in general, LWorks made a great use of
them in their Slide game, and I had a success with them as well in my
unreleased AudioArimaa for Windows.

Though, implementing the layouts suggested here wouldn't be a problem
either, so I can add them as well.

In fact, I wanted to try out a new mode of this game, invisible 2048.

Similar to invisible tetris, where blocks disappear right after they
touch the ground, 2048 could be played with all tiles hidden, just the
two new would be visible.

It'd be a great memory training, I wonder if it would be possible to win
this way.

I've checked out Mastermind and it doesn't look bad either, very similar
to Wordle.

Speaking of which, I'm an It's foss reader too, and I've seen their
Wordle article.

I even wanted to try out Warble, the clone they mentioned and perhaps
just implement accessibility there, if it wasn't usable out of the box.

But when I saw it requires 600 MB of disk space, I've abandoned this
idea. 600 MB is absolutely rridiculous for a game like this, that's
almost 6 times the size of a whole Python interpreter!

I didn't see the bash version, though. Might be worth trying, the
gameplay is simple enough not to allow tons of ascii graphics around.

Well, and on RTK...

It's my personal library, that I port to most languages I want to use
for interactive applications.

It encompasses tasks required for this purpose like playing sounds,
speaking, receiving keyboard input etc., and makes the development much
easier and better maintainable.

It's not intended for projects other than mine, so while the code is
published for transparency purposes, there are no compatibility
guarantees nor anything like consistency in functionality or provided
interfaces.

The version I'm working on right now is not public yet. One is already
published for Kotlin-Android, though:

https://github.com/RastislavKish/RtkKotlinAndroid

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 25. 2. 2022 o 17:40 Linux for blind general discussion napísal(a):